Friday, June 25, 2010

The Bridal Party


After we picked out a venue, a photographer and celebrated the engagement with friends and family we decided we should keep marking things off the list. Buit I need to back up a bit.

A few weeks prior to the engagement party, the hubs and I were trying to find a special way to ask our bridal party to be apart of the big day.We wanted to try to ask everyone at the same time so that no one felt left out so we figured at the engagement party may be a good fit.Since we love baseball and we're getting married on a golf course, the hubs had the idea of getting everyone their favorite titleist mlb hats.

We purchased some blank white bags and the hubs and I drew red baseball like stitching on the bags. We placed the hat in the bag and we attached a little note to each bag that read a little something like this (those of you who know us can fill in the blanks):

It was this time 3 years ago that ____ and I met working for the ____. Since that time, you have played a vital role in our life that is far above a batting average .400 or an ERA of 2.00. You're a true slugger, base stealin', ball throwin' friend and because of that I would be honored if you would join my side as a bridesmaid/groomsmen when I say I do on June 20, 2009 at _____.

To us it was perfect and to this day I always smile when I see photos of friends wearing their hats! And don't worry, the hubs and I each got a hat as well, and when we wear them we're reminded of all our close friends.

I say "all" above because we had a huge bridal party. When we sat down and put together our list of attendants, it was enormous. It was practically the entire wedding. We spent time really trying to figure out who and what is important. The hubs and I had both gotten our lists down as low as we could go and ended with a crazy number of 13-7, my number being first. I know what you are thinking, 13!?!?!?


At the time I felt blessed to have so many great friends, some from the younger years and some from college and the sorority and my sisters plus the hub's sister. Neither the hubs or myself have really ever had one group of extremely close friends, rather we have had multiple groups of great friends come into our lives and we have always felt greatful for that.

However, we had left a few people off that list. We hadn't included one of our dearest friends JD. JD was an itnern with the hubs and I back in '05. She was really the only true mutual friend we have. When I say true mutual, I mean she became both of our friends at the same time. We wanted her in the wedding in a role that would be super special for both of us, and since we jokingly faught over what side she should stand up in, we agreed it should be the middle. So, we asked her to marry us. No she is not a minister or a reverend. However, she did call the county clerk and ask them what she needed to do to get us married. Apparently, in the county we got married in it was super easy. She did it all on line and like that it was done. Walla.



Side Note: I would recommend chosing your bridal party as close to your wedding date as possible. You may be friends when you get engaged but throughout the engagement period, which of your friends are still around and helping you out? Only a year later and I think if the hubs sat down and rechose our bridal aprty, it would be very different. However, the wedding represents things as they were at that time, and for that I could't be happier with our bridal party.

Side Note #2: it's your wedding, break the rules. If you want a guy to walk down the aisle with 2 girls do it. If you want one of your best friends to marry you, ask them. If you want to include your pooch, do it. It only makes the day that more special for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment