Monday, January 25, 2010

Bye Bye Banana Republic

Photo Found Here http://blog.timesunion.com/kristi/18693/sale-food-and-makeovers-at-banana-republic-crossgates/


Over the course of the last 5 months, I quit my job and started doing some other work, however, the hours and pay were flexible. To help fill the void of not having a regular pay check, I joined the Banana Republic team as an acting manager between 2 stores. I will say that the experience was great, I learned a lot about managing others and about managing a building. I worked with some great but very different personalities. I learned that working in retail full time is physically hard on your body plus you pretty much have to forego every family and friend holiday party/event/fundraiser/ect. It’s been a hard few months but I am greatful for the experience and the clothes.

I will say I didn’t learn too much about the product especially since 2006, I’ve worked at BR part time to help wardrobe my work attire after college. The benefits and discount are amazing, sometimes almost too amazing. For example, this weekend there was a 40% off all sale promotions, I was able to find 3 pair of mens Dawson Chinos for the hubby at $12 each, plus the 40% off, plus my discount, Awesome right? I also have my eye on this amazing new blue leather jacket, seriously, every day I walk it to work it stares at me and I stare back. I can’t help it...but I’m getting off track.

The discount isn’t the only thing I love. BR is apart of Gap Inc (Gap, Athleta, Piperlime, Old Navy and BR). Over the course of my time with BR I’ve learned so many great things about Gap Inc, about Don Fisher, his wife, the company’s amazing attitude towards the community. Do you know that during the Haiti Relief fund Gap Inc. donated a generous flat dollar amount and then told all of it’s employees that they would match dollar for dollar on top of that flat donation?

Photo Found Here http://www.ceo-watch.com/doris-and-don-fisher-gaps-ceo.html


Also, most retail stores do a “friends and family” type offer to help offer the employee discount to employee friends and family. Well Gap Inc. calls their event Give & Get for a really great reason. They let their employees pick from a handful of charities on where they want 5% off all the dollars spent from their friends and family coupons to go. This last holiday season from the Give & get alone $2 million dollars were shared among charities like Feeding America, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Teach for America and more. The best part...they don’t boast about it. How could you not love a company like this?



Well I write this post because this is my last week “acting” as a manger for BR, because next week I start my new job working full time for the.....sorry my employer hasn’t announced my position yet, so to be fair I need to keep it a suspense, but I am getting really excited to start my new job. I will be sad to be leaving my current manager position, as anything good in life it’s a bitter sweet. I am not quite 100% ready to leave BR yet so I am really hoping they will keep me on as a part timer, I think my husband may be hoping even more than I am (he loved the product so much, he's why I even applied in the first place).

No comments:

Post a Comment