Monday, January 4, 2010

Britney Spears – My idol, well sort of

For those of you who know me, I am a huge fan of Britney Spears. Go ahead and judge me. Seriously, do it, I probably deserve it but that doesn’t change my mind My obsession started sometime when I was in high school, right after the short lived Spice Girls go-a-round. I can’t say what it was exactly that first pulled me in. It may have been the red pants she wore in the Hit Me Baby One More Time video. I had a yellow pair just like it from Abercrombie & Fitch and I used to put them on and sing & dance around. Or maybe it was the braided pig tails she wore (I loved rocking those braids during tennis matches). You can see old Britney photos here. I even went on a family cruise to the Caribbean and all the foreigners called me Britney.

It wasn’t long until I heard she was supposed to perform at an outdoor multi concert summer fest for a local radio station. I immediately called a friend and the 2 of us purchased tickets. Guess who didn’t make it to that concert because of “severe hydration?” Britney Spears. This happened again while I was in high school but the next time she had a “broken leg.” This is when rumors started flying that she got implants.

Either way, I was determined to see her live. I knew every word to every song and despite what my friends said Britney was better than Jessica Simpson (That was no knock on Jessica. See my friends in high school made it very clear you were either a Jessica Simpson fan or a Britney fan and I was one of the few Britney fans in my “social group”)

Then something amazing happened. I graduated high school and enrolled at Butler University (which will be another post entirely). During my orientation I met 2 short blondes (like me) that both loved Britney. I felt like it was Christmas in June. A few weeks later, after one of them called me and asked for my social security number for rooming together purposes, I now had a roommate who loved Britney almost as much as me.

Our room freshman year was decked out Britney. (I am still searching for the perfect photo to post here) We even had 2 copies of the movie Cross Roads. The girls in our hall either loved us for not keeping our passions a secret or they despised us (lucky for me, many of them became sorority sisters and some of the ones who didn’t are still great friends today). Together we tried to get tickets to Britney’s next show which she cancelled and rescheduled back in our home city during finals, we sadly forfeited tickets.

I can almost pinpoint every major function and what Britney song was playing during and post college. For example, there was college lip-syncs, freshman skits, dancing at frat parties (each one has their own song), my 21st Birthday in Broadripple, all 4of my college spring breaks, friends’ birthdays, dances, driving to my first day at my internship, my bachelorette party, How at the Moon the night before graduation and the list goes on… AND I remember every one.

A quick snap shot of my 21st


About 2 years ago, after being out of college for 3 years, Britney announces her Circus tour, do you know who I first called? Yup, my freshman year roommate who proudly responded “I already got us tickets, Merry Christmas!”

At the Circus with AO


It took me almost 10 years to see Britney in concert and I finally did it. Thanks Britney for one of the best comeback tours I ever experienced and thanks “AO” and all the girls in my life for accepting, supporting and even encouraging my love for Britney.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for starting your blog! I stumbled across it and after I read this post about Britney I knew I had to follow you. As you know I also LOVE Britney and constantly get made fun of for it! I'm glad you finally got to see a concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin! I still get made fun of about Britney but sometimes you just liek what you like ;) Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete