Thursday, April 1, 2010

Indy Final Four 2006



In 2006 I was a senior at Butler when the Final Four rolled into town, I should say rolled over it. Literally, the entire city of Indianapolis becomes the final four, garbage cans on the street start to look like basketball hoops and everyone has college spirit. The feeling of a Final Four in one’s city is amazing and it can spread like wildfire.

I was blessed in 2006 with knowing almost everyone in Indy, it is a small city right? (I say that half jokingly since I am from Chicago – I do love Indy, don’t get me wrong.)

Well, by knowing lots of people I ended up working all the days of the Final Four festivities. One third of the time I was working for Radio Disney at the NCAA Hall of Champions. It was a really cool experience and I had a lot more interaction with all the little kiddos, even if they aren’t old enough to appreciate basketball, they sure love the Mickey ears! While working, I was able to see a lot of the NCAA and the Hall of Champions, it was a really cool experience.

Another third of the time was spent earning some major cash working as a “show model” in the convention center for the DiGiorno Booth. Look at this photo and try not to laugh please! The money was good and when I got hungry, there was always pizza!



The last third of the time was spent volunteering as part of the Local Organizing Committee. One of my professors who I spoke about here helped to make it all happen. I was housed for most of the time during the games at the media information and hospitality booth.



Here I got to see Indy Icon Peyton Manning and past UCLA Bruin Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.





I was also able to get some behind the scene tours. In fact, I even woke up super early to watch the lights turn on in Indy with the Mayor. It was fantastic. I also enjoyed checking out the press conference background here:



After some networking events with the committee I may have stumbled into Nicki Blains where Coldplay's Chris Martin's gave a private show:



But one of may favorite parts was attending the game with my mom. At the last minute my professor was able to get us tickets and my mom happened to be driving through Indy on her way home from an ICE competition with my little sister. So Mom and I watched Florida take on UCLA. Sadly, the annoying Gator fans with all their gator chopping won but the experience was still super cool.



I am sure this years Final Four in Indy won't be anything like the last. Instead of working and volunteering, I am selfishly going to enjoy all of the events with my hubs and local friends (my hubs missed out on the last experience as he was already living and working in Minnesota). Also, instead of being in the RCA Dome the events will be housed in the fairly new Lucas Oil Stadium which I have yet to see so we are pumped about that. PLUS I know this will be an even better trip than the last time because I will get to see my college team, on my ground, with my friends and the entire city's support. I look forward to sharing many photos after this weekends festivities and have nothing but great feelings about the weekend. The hubs and I will be leaving after work to make the drive back to Indiana, it will be worth every mile driven. Way to go Butler and GO Dawgs!

No comments:

Post a Comment