Thursday, February 4, 2010

Super Bowl in Miami: Been there Done that Part 1

3 years ago on this day I was attending Super Bowl XLI in Miami where the Colts took out the Bears 29/17. Yup, that’s right, a Colts Super Bowl in Miami, I’ve been there and done that. But before I get there we should back up a few days because a lot happened.

Photo taken at Joe Robbie Stadium (It was called Joe Robbie, look it up)


One of my college professors was an adjunct who also had a great realm of experience in the sports business. After our semester ended I looked at him more as a mentor and a great contact. He taught in his class, it’s not what you know but who you know – boy was he right.

Growing up in Chicago I had a longtime love for the Bears. But after living in Indianapolis and absorbing the Hoosier way for 4 years I also had developed a love for the very lovable Colts. I came to terms with the fact that the chances of the Bears and Colts playing in a game outside of a preseason game was going to be pretty slim. This made it ok to adopt the Colts as my second team, especially since I jumped on board before bandwagon fans. Then one day, I had a feeling - yup Black Eyed Peas style.

4 months out of school at the start of football, Septemberish, I Facebooked my mentor with a note that said I65 Super Bowl, Bears Colts, wanna bet? He obviously couldn’t take any bets but he said if it happens he would work to get me to Miami to see it happen.

Fast forward to November. Both the Bears and the Colts were looking dynamite with records that looked like they’d be going to the playoffs.

Fast forward again to 2 weeks before the Super Bowl. At this point everyone in my life (minus my husband who is a Packers fan and my dog who is a hometown Minneapolis homer) was pumped to see their team go to the Super Bowl. I received a text late that night that said “you’re prediction came true, we have an I65 Super Bowl.” I am not someone who like asking for things but we did have a very informal Facebook agreement.

After 4 of the longest days of my life (most of it spent agonizing whether or not I should ask the question), I caved. I called up my mentor and said what are the chances of me coming to the Super Bowl. He said to hang tight as he may be able to get me 1 ticket.

I didn’t have long to linger on the trip so I went to my boss requested off, bought a plane ticket, arranged for PU & DO, and some family time. I of course wanted to share this experience with my husband and family and friends but sometimes you just have to take risks and do something completely out of your element to experience something cool, case in point – attending the Super Bowl, by yourself.

I spent the first part of my trip visiting with my grandparents who have always served as my second parents. It was sad that it took a big event to plan a trip for me to visit them but I was so greatful for the time I got to spend with them. To this day I talked to my grandma almost every day of the week, my phone bill can attest to that but I'll hit on more on this later.

Me and my "pop pop" or "King Bugga Bugga"


Along with quality time with my grandparents I was able to watch my Goddaughter play soccer coached by my uncle. Living thousands of miles away from family while in college isn't the easiest way to watch your family grow. It was a cool experience to see her all grown up.

My aunt and my cousin/Goddaugher


My grandma and I


I also got some great time spent with my aunt. This was my first visit where I was of legal drinking age and I could attend some local hot spots. She took me out to see what Ft Lauderdale had to offer and we spent most of the time visiting the Hard Rock Seminole:



Us getting ready to go out for the evening


The Hard Rock was awesome. We got to see a lot of local celebrities and I got to ride a bull:

(I should mention that Anna Nicole Smith was at the Hard Rock and was rumored to be riding this very same bull the same weekend, she died the Monday after RIP Anna)


While here, I even ran into this lady who was my first boss as an intern. She oversaw me when we worked for the Indianapolis Indians but we hadn't seen eachother since I graduated - SURPRISE



We cut the night short because the very next day was Feb 4, SUPER BOWL DAY! Part 2 coming tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment