Monday, February 1, 2010

A Good 1st Day

I firmly believe that having a good "first day" of anything in your life sets a tone for the rest of your experience.

Case in point, the last time I started a job, my first day consisted of me getting locked out of my apartment. Here's how it went down. My husband had flown out of town on business the night before and I had only lived in the apartment for 2 days. While getting ready for work I heard our wonder dog Minne crying to go out. It was a warm rainy day so I figured I could run out and run right back in and didn't think about putting on a coat or even shoes, instead opted for the quick slip on slippers. Plus, it was my first day of work, I didn't want to be late.

Well Minne and I run outside, quick pee and we shot right back inside. Wait...back up. I wish it were that easy. We went to run back inside but apparently the door locked behind me. I tried the sliding doors and it was locked too. Shoot. It is now starting to rain and Minne is now whining, she hates water.

I saw a neighbor walking by and in my now soaking wet white t-shirt and slippers, I figured I should introduce myself and beg to use her phone. Luckily, she felt bad for me and handed me her phone. I called the husband but he didn't answer. I called again and still no answer, so I left a message. Next, I called the apartment office. They said they would send someone right over after they verified I was on the lease. 2 minutes later, I get a call back, guess what? The husband hadn't added me to the lease yet so I was stuck outside while the husband was thousands of miles away.

What's a girl to do, other than throw her entire body, including her hip into the door and bust the door down? Yup, that's what I did. At some point there were photos of this door but the below photos is pretty close to what I did.

Photo found here, however this was not our door, just a similair case.


Sure enough, I make it into the house and guess who is calling me? Yup, the hubs. I tell him what happend expecting to get sympathy and even email him photos of the door and the instant bruising on my hip. Instead of sympathy, he was angry, apparently fixing door frames and doors are kind of expensive and aren't covered in the lease. OOPS

After all that I ended up getting to work late on my first day. I think the fact that I am no longer with this employer shows that my experience there wasn't one of my favorites. Lucky for me, today was the first day of my new job and it went smoothly. I had a great work out with my mom at 5:30am followed by a great walk with Minne. Even though the hubs is out of town, there was no getting locked out, there was no rain and no bruising. I hit no traffic during my commute and I already felt comfortable with everyone I work with. Awesome right? I hope today is a reflection of the rest of my time with the UC.

No comments:

Post a Comment