Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Grandma and Baseball Can Go Together

Shoot I am really behind! 3 days ago was my grandma’s Birthday, and before it got too late I wanted to share a few memories and facts about one of the greatest women in my life! After spending lots of time with my grandma these past 25 years, I have a lot of memories but I'll try to pull out some of the faves for you.

Ever since I was little I remember spending holidays like Thanksgiving and the 4th of July with my grandma. I remember sitting in her car on the way to summer camp /pre-school while she would drive through McDonalds. I remember my grandm (along with my pop pop) taking me to ice skating and events like the Nutcracker and Phantom of the Opera. Every special birthday my grandma would take me somewhere special. Once we went to the Melting Pot where I experienced my first fondue tip, there was a hibachi grill and one year we even went to a Polynesian restaurant which was awesome.

My grandma and grandpa took me to some really cool places when I was little too. For example, they took me to a Rodeo in Texas, Zoos, Disney Land, Universal, a drive through safari and even a place where I could see REAL mermaids, seen here:



And how could I forget my first cruise through the caribean?! I also remember going out on the ocean in my grandparents boat and sitting in the front with my grandma. Ohh or what about when my grandma helped me make a mohowk out of all my hair for wackiest hair day? Or better yet, when she helped me to learn the B52s love shack so I could perform it in a lip sync contest?

My grandma was one cool chick! Before I even knew what Nintendo was, my grandma was an official Nintendo member. From the time I could pick up the remote my grandma had me venturing out on Zelda quests. We used to play so much, we would carry our game world into real life. Once in awhile, driving to school/camp we would think bad guys were going to jump out of the bushes. My grandma and I almost beet every Zelda together, between my “jumping” ability and my grandma’s brains, we were a force to be reckoned with. Don’t even get me started on any of the Mario Brother games, especially not Mario Kart (I took a gold medal in Greek Games my freshman year of college in Mario Kart – on the Super Nintendo Machine, my grandma must have had something to do with that)

As cool as all of this was, I still owe some of my love towards baseball to her and of course my grandpa, even though my grandma is a Yankees fan and a Cubs fans (after all the cool things mentioned above, you could forgive her for being a Yankee fan too) I remember watching the Chicago Cubs on WGN almost where ever my grandma lived and I remember watching the Cubs play in away games. I remember going to lots of Rangers games back in the Nolan Ryan days and I remember the Marlins when they used to play at “Joe Robbie Stadium.”

(My grandma loved Ally McBeal. I remember staying with her one summer where the introduced the singing baby. My grandma thought it was so cool, so I learned the dance for her and even preformed it for some of her co-workers. Back in the day the internet was not for everyone and You Tube seemed light years away, however somehow the dancing baby made it to You Tube so in honor of my grandma’s Birthday week I dedicate this entry and this little dance to her - especially since i know she reads this, love you grandma!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment